What is NPORS training?
Ever since 1992, NPORS has been raising the standard of machine safety and operation both nationally and internationally. Recognised by the Health and Safety Executive, NPORS ltd provide both the NPORS blue card and NPORS red card, which ensure that machine operators are both certified and competent. Each individual card clearly displays the categories of plant and assessments completed, so that an employer can easily and confidently maintain proof of a capable workforce, in full compliance with current legislation.
As one of the leading operator card schemes, the acronym NPORS meaning – ‘National Plant Operators Registration Scheme’ – is recognised as a mark of excellence in accreditation for plant operators across a wide variety of industries.
How do I become an NPORS operator?
Delivered at a location convenient to you (even on site to save downtime), achieving an NPORS machine ticket couldn’t be easier. Simply enrol yourself or your team on an NPORS training course and a qualified instructor will provide all the specialist skills and knowledge needed to operate safely, efficiently and competently. Each course is tailored to your workplace needs and operator experience level with a wide variety of NPORS ticket categories available. During the course, the expert trainer will professionally explain and demonstrate each chosen plant machine type and ensure that you feel comfortable operating it in your workplace.
After successful completion of the practical and theory aspects of the course, each candidate will receive their NPORS operator card – sometimes referred to as an NPORS CSCS card – which identifies the categories completed and is easily validated by employers and public bodies.
What NPORS courses are available?
There are a wide variety of course categories available within the NPORS blue card and NPORS red card scheme. This allows for a great flexibility of accreditation and is a great alternative choice to CSCS.
Some of the many NPORS training categories offered include:
- MEWPS & Access: for employees needing to safely work at height – MEWP Boom (N108), MEWP Scissor Lift (N109), Mobile Towers (N706),
- Lift Trucks: widely used in many industries including construction, warehousing, distribution and ports – Lorry Mounted Lift Truck (N004), Reach Truck (N003), Rough Terrain Lift Truck (N009), Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck (N001),
- Cranes & Hoists: stay compliant and competent when undertaking lifting operations – Crane Supervisor (N405), Crawler Crane (N103), Mobile Crane (N101), Tower Crane (N102), Tower Crane Remote Control (N115), Hoist (N111b)
- Loading: a multi-industry skill, where well-trained operators are essential to reducing serious accidents and loss – Lorry Loader (N107), Loader Compressor (N206), Loading Shovel (N209), Skidsteer Loader (N212), Plant loader and Securer (N120)
- Construction & Agriculture Vehicles: NPORS qualifications in high demand by employers – Agricultural Tractor (N601), All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) (N608), Dozer (N215), Skip Lorries (N219),
- Handlers: useful plant machinery operation that can be adapted to suit to your workplace – Telescopic Handler (N010), Industrial Telescopic Handler (N011), Container Handler (N012), Rail Handler – Ironman (N504), Material Re-handler 360 (N722)
- Dumpers: professional NPORS training for this specialised vehicle – Rear Dump Truck (N205), Forward Tipping Dumper (N204),
- Excavators: a vital NPORS card accreditation for most construction projects – Excavator 180 (N201), Excavator 360 (N226), Excavator as a crane (N100), Load and Secure Excavator (N124), Trencher (N203)
- Banksman: clear and competent banksmen are essential to successful teamwork – Appointed Persons Lifting Operations (N401), Slinger/ Signaller (N402), Vehicle Banksman (N403)
- Saws: learn to reduce risk when using this potentially dangerous machinery – Bench Saw (N302), Chainsaw (N602), Circular Saw (N303),
- On-Site Plant: whatever your plant operation, NPORS courses ensure compliance and accreditation – Cable Avoidance Tool (N304), Generator (N506), Crusher (N207), Grass Cutters/Mowers (N604), Chipper (N244), Concrete Pump (N211), Screener (N208), Static Concrete Placing Boom (N721)
- Road Repair & Maintenance: improve your job prospects and earn more with an NPORS course – Gritter and Snowplough (N802), Road Planer (N216), Road Roller (N214), Road Sweeper (N217)
- Construction Safety: improve standards and compliance in this high-risk industry – Confined spaces (N702), Construction Safety Awareness (S001)
How do I renew my NPORS card?
You may already be a CSCS NPORS operator and are likely aware that accreditation and good industry practice involves regular refresher training to ensure up-to-date knowledge and maintained standards. Many plant operators ask: ‘How can I renew my NPORS card?’
There are 2 available options:
- Submit a renewal notification form, signed by your employer to confirm your competence and accident-free use of the machinery during your employment
- Complete refresher training for the chosen categories on your NPORS card. Recommended to ensure you are in-line with the latest industry standards, get the opportunity to benefit from a highly experienced and knowledgeable expert, and receive the peace of mind of independent accreditation.
Find NPORS training near me
Whatever your industry and plant needs, you can be confident that NPORS training will provide the knowledge and accreditation you need. Why not contact us today to find out more about the NPORS training cost for the machinery and location of your choice?
Our friendly team are happy to answer any questions you may have on training and renewals, the NPORS card cost and which course option is best suited for you and your team.